Title: Detection and Extraction of Evidence related to Cryptocurrency Use
Presenter: Nick Furneaux
Target Audience Skill Level:
Intermediate to Advanced
At the end of this workshop you should be able to:
- Have a better understanding of how cryptocurrencies work
- Understand their use in crime
- Know how to detect use
- Understand how to extract evidence
Cryptocurrencies are cropping up in more and more crimes. From fraud and extortion to drugs and money laundering. In 2018 Nick Furneaux published the only book in the world (still) on the techniques surrounding the investigation of crimes involving cryptocurrencies. He has gone on to teach almost 1000 Law enforcement officers from FI’s to digital forensics professionals the technology, methods and techniques involved in this growth area.
This workshop will focus on how the technology works and how that knowledge helps us to detect use of cryptocurrencies by a suspect and extract the data needed to recreate evidence. Often that evidence can then be used to seize proceeds of crime or follow the money. Tools and techniques will be used that have been developed by CSITech and will be made available to workshop attendees free of charge. This information and tools are not available anywhere else.
The workshop will cover:
- Understanding why detection of cryptocurrency use is critical
- Understanding the underlying technologies used by cryptocurrencies
- Considering methods of detection of use in disk and memory images